Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Cambodia (Phnom Phen)...



So, the Chinese New Year has ended and I am back safe and sound from my trip. I am rested, back into the swing of things again, and ready to push to the end of the year, which is June. It is hard to believe that I have been here for almost a year. I've decided to stay for a second year to teach and will not be home in June (the salmon will have safe passage up the rivers this summer). I don't know when I will be back home again....October......December……June????? Regardless, since the Chinese New Year I have been a bit homesick and missing people and the outdoors. I don't know how long I will be in this part of the world, however, I don't believe I am not finished here yet. There are a few more places I would like to visit before packing it up and moving somewhere else. So, I will see what happens and maybe I will see some of you sooner that later……..or later than sooner……

As for my trip, I had a fabulous time in Cambodia and Thailand (however, there are not as many ties there as you would expect). Instead of posting a thousand pictures (425 actually) all at once, I will post a few of each highlight over the next few days/weeks. Sound good? Hope so, because that’s how it’s happening ladies and gents.....

I spent the first 8 days in Cambodia with friends from school (Adam, Katie, and Faye). It was an awesome time. Although the people here are very poor and have faced genocide less than thirty years ago, they are always smiling and pleasant. I fell in love with the place. The first four days were spent in Phnom Phen, the capital. We visited the Genocide Museum and The Killing Fields. This was a very disturbing experience, so I will not post any of the pictures because it is not really necessary for you to see any of this. However, we also visited the palace and national museum. Below are a few pictures of these events and general wanderings. Pictures of Siem Reap and Angkor to follow in the next few days........my people, enjoy......




National museum....cool architecture....





Museum courtyard....





Inside the museum.....nothing is covered or protected and is exposed to the outside air.....birds were flying around inside......artifacts a thousand years old for viewing and the government hasn't put the money into its preservation.....




In the courtyard again...




Palace of the king...he is one messed up cookie....



Me and the girls on the palace grounds....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home